Principal Supplier Quality Engineer
- Location: Great Yarmouth
- Salary: Negotiable
- Working Hours: Full Time
- Length of Employment: Perm
- Reference: PS3263SO
- Sector: Engineering
- Vacancy First Advertised: 21st Jun 2021
P+S Personnel are pleased to be working on behalf of our clients who are currently seeking an Applications Engineer to join their team on a full-time, permanent basis.
As a senior role, the Principal SQE will be responsible for implementing a Supplier Quality Development framework and recruiting/leading a team of SQE’s covering all regions in which the client’s suppliers operate. The primary objectives are to drive supplier improvement reducing Non-conformances/Concessions and improving on-time delivery, coupled with leading internal improvements that make the company a ‘better customer’ generating shared cost savings and efficiencies.
• Create and maintain processes and tools to embed a Supplier Quality Development framework
• Analyse data to establish the size of team required to cover critical and strategic suppliers across all regions
• Create and present business cases to Senior Leadership to secure funding for function growth
• Identify, roll-out and report KPI’s which will demonstrate the effectiveness of the SQD function
• Liaise with client site GM’s and their teams to ensure the benefit of SQD is felt and the requirement to address internal issues is clearly understood and active engagement achieved
• Lead the SQD team ensuring consistency in approach and value creation
• Provide internal training in how to carry out Root Cause Analysis
• Continuous evaluation and assessment of Supplier Quality risk in line with changes to supplier scopes and usage level
• Maintenance of records that relate to supplier quality risk
• Develop and manage supplier quality initiatives including vendor expectations, inspection standards and capability studies for incoming materials to ensure goods received at Client site are ‘right first time’.
• Collate and evaluate supplier quality data to identify supplier process improvement opportunities
• Work with the supplier directly, create containment and corrective action plans to address process failures
• Initially facilitate root cause analysis and corrective actions of supplier quality issues
• Train suppliers to carry out effective root cause analysis and prevent recurring issues at supplier site without Client facilitation
• Perform on-site supplier visits for verification of correction actions from RCA
• Work with Client Engineers and Suppliers to agree appropriate Material Certification requirements
• Support supplier development e.g., capability, adequate Quality controls, Quality Assurance mentality, Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA’s), Design for Manufacture (DFM) and Value Engineering to drive out cost.
• Takes ownership of and lead investigations into reasons for negative trends in Supplier Quality and Delivery.
• Supplier HSE spot-audits
• Monitor and reduce supplier concessions through working with supplier and Client Engineers
• Identify and manage supplier improvement initiatives
• Work with Product and Design Engineers to define process parameters and criteria (for example tolerances) to ensure supplier process capability is effective to meet product and process requirements
• Work with Project Engineers to improve understanding of supplier product compatibility and application in order to balance Client specification with cost-effective/quality products.
• Promote the use of techniques for continuous improvement such as Poka-Yoke (Error Proofing), Measurement System Analysis, Statistical Process control, Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA), Lean and Six-Sigma.
• Demonstrate a personal commitment to Quality, Health, Safety and the Environment
• Apply Client, and where appropriate Client Company’s, Quality, Health, Safety & Environment Policies and Safety Management Systems
• Promote a culture of continuous improvement, and lead by example to ensure company goals are achieved and exceeded
• Degree preferred; HNC, City & Guilds Licentiateship, BTec Higher Professional Diploma, or NVQ level 4 qualification essential
• Lead Auditor qualified
• Previous implementation of an SQA/SQD framework and setting up a team is preferred
• SQD experience in Automotive, Aerospace or Energy is preferred
• Low-volume, low repeatability, Engineer-to-order environment is preferred
• Management role within Quality Assurance
• Extensive experience of Supplier quality development demonstrated through results
• Experience of dealing with customers and suppliers
• Membership of appropriate professional body
• Delivery of internal/supplier training in Root Cause Analysis
• Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), would be advantageous
• Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA)
• Lean Manufacturing knowledge
• Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, would be advantageous
• Measurement techniques
• Metrology, Inspection Methods and Equipment
• Understanding and interpretation of engineering drawings
• Understanding manufacturing processes; fabrication and machining knowledge is essential
• Development of process flows for Quality/Business systems
• ISO9001 / TS16949 / ISO45001/OHSAS18001 / ISO14001
• Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic environment
• Planning and prioritising activities
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Listening skills
• Negotiation skills
• Ability to present data effectively
• Problem-solving skills
• Understanding of Health and Safety practices
• Team working skills
• Analytical skills
• Understanding of cost and financial impacts
If this is a role you are interested in, please apply online ensuring your CV is up to date.
Alternatively, please email your CV directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of the terms and conditions, all vacancies are advertised by equal opportunities employers.