Head of Electrical
- Location: Great Yarmouth & Surrounding Area
- Salary: Negotiable
- Working Hours: Full-time
- Length of Employment: Perm
- Reference: PS3382AW
- Sector: Engineering
- Vacancy First Advertised: 04th Oct 2021
P+S Personnel are pleased to be working on behalf of our clients who are currently seeking a Head of Electrical to join their team based in Great Yarmouth on a full time, permanent basis.
Responsible for the day-to-day control, co-ordination and running of Electrical design, production and development within the Systems team. Provide engineering assistance to support sales and project management activities including concept development, costing and planning. Ensuring good communications with other departments specifically Electronics, Mechanical and Software. Directly responsible for the integrity of all Electrical designs produced by the company, from the conceptual design stage, through producing costed specifications for tenders and on through detailed design into production. Overall control of CAD draughting facilities. Ensuring compliance with ISO 9001, any legal requirements and company policy and procedures.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Oversee workshop assembly and production, ensuring works is completed on time, on budget and to the design / quality standards specified.
• Troubleshoot any issues in conjunction with the Workshop Supervisor.
• Placing of sub-contract orders where necessary.
• Directly involved in the definition and development electro-mechanical products, especially X-ray detection technology and its applications in industry. Specification of specialist components from external suppliers and negotiation and placement of orders for development and subsequent production of those components, co-ordination of prototype builds and subsequent test and evaluation plans.
• Allocate tasks to personnel sufficient to manage all activities including concept and detailed design, development, testing, manufacturing, production and commissioning of company products, including all associated documentation.
• Ensure progress is as per the plan and report any delays in progress / issues to relevant parties.
• Review customer specifications, develop design solutions, produce design specifications, and calculate critical characteristics for shielding, strength or dynamic components of system as required.
• Determine scope of work issue instructions and allocate work packages to engineers of appropriate discipline/experience.
• Issue instructions to purchasing for standard product manufacture at sub-contract and for purchasing of proprietary items.
• Produce design risk assessments. Produce design review record documents. Check & approve manufacturing drawings and parts lists/bills of material prior to manufacture.
• Provide management, leadership & effective communication to the direct line reports to ensure the teams overall effectiveness and success.
• Provide coaching and mentoring to develop line reports performance. This is delivered through informal regular 1-2-1’s and the formal interim and annual performance review and objective setting process.
• Ensure the team can deliver bids and proposal’s to required deadlines, ensuring that resources meet requirements
• Perform line management responsibilities as dictated by the needs of the business including; disciplinary, grievance, absence management, general queries & issues.
• Provide support for project management dept as necessary, attend project planning meetings and produce project plans. Provide progress reports and attend meetings as required.
• Assist in sales support for all products.
• Compile quotations for custom systems against customer requirements and carry out preliminary design calculations to allow accurate costings to be developed for quote purposes.
• Specify requirements for proposed high value sub-contract work, find suitably qualified sub-contract organizations and obtain prices for quote purposes.
• Manage the production of concept design layouts and drawings for presentation to customers.
• Provide support to after sales team to aid customer support activities. When necessary provide direct customer support including to other groups.
• Manage and contribute to the production and maintenance of manuals as required.
• Contribute and ensure compliance with company policies and procedures. Implementing any required documentation with regards to QA, HSE, HR, Finance and internal processes
• Experienced Electrical Design Engineer with experience of manufacturing and production (minimum 6 years).
• Educated to degree level in a Scientific/Engineering subject.
• Extremely versatile, able to find solutions to a wide range of engineering challenges.
• Basic understanding of the principles of optical design.
• Understanding of requirements for inherently safe/failsafe design.
• Excellent communication skills capable of dealing with staff from general hands, up to director level.
• Capable of developing original concepts based on current state of the art technology.
• High level of computer literacy, familiar with Microsoft Office, experienced user of AutoDesk Inventor & Vault or similar CAD package.
• Good knowledge of capabilities of local sub-contract manufacturing base.
• Comprehensive knowledge of all company products.
If this is a role you are interested in, please apply online ensuring your CV is up to date.
Alternatively, please email your CV directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of the terms and conditions, all vacancies are advertised by equal opportunities employers.