- Location: Great Yarmouth
- Salary: Negotiable
- Working Hours: Full Time
- Length of Employment: Perm
- Reference: PS2531NB
- Sector: Engineering
- Vacancy First Advertised: 12th Feb 2019
P+S Personnel are pleased to be working on behalf of our clients, who are currently seeking an Electrical Engineer to join their team based in Great Yarmouth.
The Electrical Engineer is responsible for the technical aspects of projects assigned to them, and achieving completion of allocated projects on time, to specification, within budget, and with maximum focus on the operation, safety, and reliability of the equipment which is manufactured.
Overall, they are to ensure customer satisfaction for the electrical services and equipment supplied to the customer.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Representing the Company as a leading supplier of electrical equipment / installation / maintenance services.
• Look after the company’s interests at all times.
• Maintain strict confidentiality on all matters relating to company business.
• Work in accordance with the Approval Matrix for sign off levels.
• Prepare technical proposals, cost and labour estimates, and provide support to the Capital, Proposals, E&I, Services, and Procurement departments.
• Contribute to and assist with the generation of company technical standards/templates and ensure their correct use throughout the business. These standards will ensure that straightforward calculations and technical documents are consistent and correct throughout the company.
• Develop and propose design and maintenance concepts which add innovation and value engineering to the business in order to achieve competitiveness and maintain market lead.
• Ensure that technical lessons are learned where relevant by preparing, checking, and distributing Technical Bulletins.
• Assist and mentor Junior Electrical Engineers as & when required.
• Work with both international and company standards and procedures to assure the quality of products, systems, and installations provided by the Company for electrical equipment (within the capabilities of the product(s) produced).
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge through Continuous Professional Development (CPD) i.e. by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications & standards, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
• Design of LV Switchgear, PLC Control Systems, Electrical Control Panels, & Electrical Installations in accordance with legal obligations, the project specifications, and any / all relevant engineering specifications pertinent to the equipment being designed.
• Ensure that any/all electrical technical specifications are interpreted and implemented correctly in the equipment specification, design drawings, and documentation, ensuring compliance with the necessary directives/standards.
• Generate electrical BOMs and ensure that the procurement of electrical components, materials, enclosures, and services is carried out in accordance with project technical and quality requirements.
• Ensure that all technical design information is made available to the CAD Office in time to allow preparation and checking of drawings to be completed on schedule, and at maximum efficiency.
• Prepare and validate IS loop calculations and hazardous area schedules to ensure that the electrical circuitry is safe and installed in accordance with the relevant hazardous area specifications.
• Prepare and validate cable calculations & cable schedules for site installations ensuring adherence to the applicable standards whilst also ensuring that all electrical installation work is carried out in accordance with the design principles of the EMC directive in mind.
• In accordance with the Design Review Process, carry out technical evaluation of electrical elements of allocated projects, identify problem areas and deviations, and ensure all matters are discussed with customers’ engineers and clarified in order to avoid delays.
• Generate, or assist project engineers with, the preparation of Factory Acceptance Test procedures & provide on-the-job support during functional testing of the equipment.
• Represent the Company in front of customers where electrical technical input is likely to be required and offer support during contract meetings with customer’s engineers as required.
• Manage electrical project activities to achieve agreed project milestones liaising with all necessary departments, the customers’ engineers, customer inspectors, suppliers, and sub-contractors where appropriate.
• Maintain a watching brief on equipment design to ensure cost efficiency and compliance with contract specifications.
• Maintain a watching brief on the electrical assembly of the equipment and find solutions on day-to-day problems, should they arise.
• Ensure that any changes in design scope are identified to the Project Engineer to enable variations to be raised and agreed, and amendments to purchase orders are timely received.
• Ensure the quality management system and design procedures are followed, and standards are maintained.
• Maintain and promote a professional and harmonious relationship both internally within the Company and with our customers and their representatives.
Specialised Technical Knowledge and Skills
Education – Essential
• Level 4 qualification in Electrical / Electronic Engineering (or approved Apprenticeship / equivalent).
• Ex Foundation Course or demonstrable knowledge.
Education – Preferred
• CompEx Application Design Engineer Ex12
• BS 7671 (17th / 18th Edition)
• Held / holds a similar position in a similar engineering environment, with a proven record of on-time project and site delivery.
• A working knowledge of the main engineering standards applicable to the core electrical products such as BS 7671 (or IEC 60364), IEC 60079 (series), & IEC 61439.
• Ability to communicate at a high level with our client / our client’s representatives.
• Be able to work under pressure and respond to the demands of a high and varied workload.
• Have the ability to work as part of a team
• Proficient in Microsoft Office software (& Adobe Acrobat (PDF).
• Proven track record in the design of electrical topside equipment for the Oil & Gas Industry.
• Experience with the use of AutoCAD Electrical software.
It is anticipated that any training requirements will be dependent on the applicant. However, as a minimum, it would be expected that the successful engineer will attain the CompEx Ex12 Application Design Engineer certificate through the Company’s nominated 3rd party provider. A training agreement would apply.
Key Result Areas
• Maintain and improve the Company’s position in the global market for the provision of topside drive systems/equipment.
• Maintain and improve the Company’s perception within the industry for electrical installation work.
• Develop and maintain processes and standards for on-site electrical installations.
• Develop and improve the Company’s portfolio of electrical equipment.
• Deliver projects and services on-time and within budget.
• Demonstrate a personal commitment to Quality, Health, Safety and the Environment.
• Follow the Company, and where appropriate Client’s, Quality, Health, Safety & Environment Policies and Safety Management Systems.
• Promote a culture of continuous improvement, and lead by example to ensure company goals are achieved and exceeded.
If this is a role you are interested in, please apply online ensuring your CV is up to date.
Alternatively, please email your CV directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of the terms and conditions, all vacancies are advertised by equal opportunities employers.